Alice in Texas

Not writing here anymore- see top post for details of my new blogs.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

my kids are the most wonderful people

life

It doesn't compromise their privacy, and it's worth saying. Their calm resilience and determination, their incredible optimism and enormous appreciation of everything fun and good in their lives, their deep consideration and caring for other people, and perhaps most of all their ceaseless quest for new challenges, new learning and new experiences, in different but never less than impressive ways, all make me feel incredibly lucky to be their mother.

Lots of parents regard their own kids as exceptional geniuses, of course. But also, lots of people unconsciously try to snuff out extraordinariness in children. One anonymous person suggested to me that my son and daughter needed "levelling out"- to have their weaker educational spots improved (nothing wrong with that, obviously) but also to have their strongest talents quashed. Fortunately, I never take in that kind of information till hours after the event, or I would have been completely dumbstruck and unable to continue the conversation. But I don't think it's as uncommon an attitude as one might expect.

Anyway, kids- well done, you're doing great, keep it up! (They won't read that, but I tell them whenever I remember anyway :-))

3 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Kim du Toit said...

Hear, hear.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger alice said...

Maybe if I mention that it was another (yawn) anti-homeschooling "argument"... I don't really think this person had any idea what they were saying. But the idea of conformity as an ideal is fundamental to that particular (evil) view of education.

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our whole school system in the UK achieves that one outcome - the levelling (or 'dumbing') down of generations of kids.

Mark is correct. It is obscene. And tragic...

GM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home