Alice in Texas

Not writing here anymore- see top post for details of my new blogs.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Here I go again...

life

Back in Texas, life is good.

Not even real summer yet, and some of the day the patio is too hot for sitting outside already. And the air-conditioning in the car has broken down. And a new one costs about twice what the car is worth. But it's still unhot enough for open car windows to do an OK job. So far.

We are moving next week, to a lovely little old wooden rented house, with a nice garden, with trees, and shops and cafes in walking distance, and buses to places good to go. This is brilliant because my brain did not grow up in America and I can't do Car Culture because I don't want to do Car Culture. Not saying I'll never get around to driving a 2CV. Or a Cadillac. But I still don't want to have to jump into it and start burning gas every time I run out of milk.

There is a mumps epidemic in the UK. We brought it back with us. I don't know if it's true mumps, but it has some of the symptoms and seems to go on for weeks. I nap in the afternoons, wake up a little more energised, then bash out Bach partitas on the violin until it's too hot to go on.

I avoid the supermarket. It is too confusing and full of rubbish and gives me a headache. The TV stays switched off. I prefer quietness. When I move house I will order some books from Amazon so they go to the right address.

I'm cooking this Nigella Lawson chicken recipe, right now. I'll let you know if it was any good, but it definitely smells great already.

Today I read this and this (latter hat tip Rishon Rishon ). Ah, the pitfalls of logic that sees not its own flawed premises... I also found this, which made me happy as it combines several of my favourite Jewish bloggers in one place (namely, Treppenwitz, Renegade Rebbetzin, Mirty and A Simple Jew).

The smell from the kitchen is getting better and better as I write.

Life is good. Did I say that already? Oh, yeah.

5 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Michael Peach said...

Bet you can't do six months........

Hi by the way.

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Alice, it is good to see you writing again. Don't care what you choose to blog about, I just enjoy your writing!

Have come to a screeching halt on mine; not for any particular reason other than I suddenly found other things to do, like trying to get back into REAL writing. Plus, my first foray into homeschooling has been occupying more and more of my time.

Sorry to hear about the mumps! Get well soon!
Sharon

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Chaim said...

Alice, thank you for linking to my site (The Jewish Connection) you have some great choices in blogs, those bloggers you mentioned really are great! Hope you keep on coming back there is some great material there.

 
At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I just noticed...

David Boxenhorn

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger emma said...

It took me a month to notice.

YAY Alice is blogging :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home