Alice in Texas

Not writing here anymore- see top post for details of my new blogs.

Friday, July 29, 2005

domestic business

food

Although renting a house is financially completely pointless compared to buying one, we have no choice other than to rent, due to the fact that we each own half a house already, and the other half of the owners are still living in them. However, there are some advantages to renting. Today, a nice man is mending the back door and our landlady is repairing the bathroom sealant. We do not have to pay for this, so it feels like free repair-people, which is quite luxurious. I am getting (I think) slightly better at returning the traditional friendly Texan greeting,

AND HOW ARE YOU TODAY?!

I say, "good, thanks," in as bright and sunny a way possible given that I am still in recovery from spending the last 37 years on a cold damp island in the middle of the North Sea.

Anyway, speaking of Texas, I am very glad to see that the Manolo approves of the boots of the cowboy. It's far too hot to wear them in Texas for most of the year, but maybe I'll get some for the 3-week winter.

I bought some fresh basil in Central Market the other day. It's my favourite herb, and Central Market is my favourite grocery store. The bread area is gorgeous and they have everything European you could possibly want, even Maltesers, white chocolate buttons and Hungarian paprika. My travelling days are over. Anyway, now I am thinking what to do with the basil. I found this Martha recipe for tomato tarts, it doesn't say basil, but I might add basil and take out the cheese, but I thought it would be better on puff pastry, so I got some of that from Central Market too. Which means my plan bears no relation now to Martha's recipe except being allowed to be called a tomato tart, really.

Anyway, does anyone have other delicious suggestions for the use of basil, at all?

6 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wrap pieces of salmon or other favorite fish around them and grill them shishkabob.

slice tomato into thick slices, top with large leaves of basil, a large piece of gourmet mozzerella, and dash balsamic vinegar over all. Good fresh summery salad.

saute peeled/deveined shrimp in olive oil and minced fresh garlic, add chopped basil, roasted red bell pepper (the canned kind is easiest) and a couple of serrano peppers, cover and let cook until shrimp is firm and pink. serve with liquid over white steamed rice (or whatever rice you may choose) OR use French bread to sop up the juice.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger emma said...

4 tins tomatoes (Whole ones)
half a dried red chilli
olive oil
one clove garlic

Simmer for one hour. Then chop up the tomatoes, add a big handful of ripped up basil and a bit of red wine vinegar (a tablespoon? two?)

Best salsa ever. Or use as sauce for meatballs. Or sauce for anything else, really

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In that second recipe, I forgot to add chopped fresh tomatos.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Central Market is awesome, isn't it? Funny, I (last Wed.) bought some fresh basil there myself. Yum.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

P.S. I used the basil for a mediterranean stewed chicken recipe. Yum.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger staghounds said...

Whoppers are better than maltsers.

 

<< Home