Alice in Texas

Not writing here anymore- see top post for details of my new blogs.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

piano playing update

I wrote a long post about Beethoven, Mozart, and Romantics (Choping and Rachmaninov, specifically), and which appealed to which different age-groups. Blogger ate it.

Oh well. I could have just summarised it thus anyway:

"Although I used to think that Romantic music was kind of Teenaged (accessible and sentimental), I now wonder if it isn't actually quite Grown Up (straightforward and honestly expressive)."

Of course, all the great composers mentioned above are great, therefore it is rather trivial to compare them in this kind of way. But it means something to me, despite being more of a thinking-exercise than anything applicably true.

Any opinions welcome, and also any recommendations of piano music I should be playing next. No concertos please: I don't have a spare orchestra to accompany me locked away in the closet. On my list already: Bach preludes and fugues, and English suites; some Brahms but I don't know what, and I do also have Debussy preludes. Thank you.

4 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger lijhe said...

I love the 3rd English Suite, especially the Gigue.

How about Chopin's Ballades?

 
At 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alice - found your blog! How about Chopin Nocturnes, Preludes, Brahms Waltzes, 2 Rhapsodies, collections of Pieces, Intermezzos, Fantasies..., Debussy 2 Petites Suites, 2 Arabesques, Suite Bergamasque, Rachmaninov Preludes, Etudes tableaux, Grieg Lyrical Pieces, Schumann Carnival, Liszt Consolations...
Sheet Music Online:
http://www.sheetmusic1.com/rvlabs/default2.asp
has a searchable database by composer which is really good for ideas...

ENJOY!

Barbs

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger emma said...

Schubert Impromptus

THere's some really NEAT AND TIDY Clementi sonatinas, too, which are not too hard, so fun to read through.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger alice said...

Nice suggestions people, thank you!

Barbara- hi!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home